Wednesday, March 11, 2009

1.5 kg tumor

I almost got called to give blood yesterday. When our patients need blood, guess where it comes from? The different, neat, Africa thing is that we (the crew) give it, and the patient receives it while it is still warm. You know, at home, you are far removed from ever seeing who will receive you life giving gift. Here, there is no delay! Yesterday, this lady had a 1.5 kilogram (about 3.4 pound) tumor removed from her face. She was in the OR for quite a while and ended up having to have 5 units of blood. If she had needed 6, I would have been her girl. They thought for awhile that she would need to go to ICU, but she recovered nicely and ended up going to the ward with one to one nursing. Last week, there was a patient who had a large tumor removed and when she went to recovery my roommate (Linda from the UK) was her nurse. She got out a mirror for the patient to look into and was very moved by the pleasure that she saw in the patient's face as she felt the bandages that covered the part of her face where her tumor had previously been. I don't know, how do you put a price on being a part of such a ministry? I can't. It has and continues to be a wonderful blessing.

So, I'm on call for blood tomorrow. Now I don't wish anyone to do poorly, but if they need blood....I think that it would be very cool to provide it!

Sorry I'm not replying to any comments. I have tried several times, but I think the Internet here is slow and it keeps bumping me off. I do read each one and very much appreciate the kind words and that we are remembered here.....although I think some of you may be just a touch blind: )

3 comments:

  1. Dear Bonnie,

    Please keep us updated on your mission adventures. I have been keeping you and your shipmates, patients and families in my prayers and find your writings uplifting and a blessing.

    Take care and continue good works.

    Becky Reed PLAC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bonnie Boo!
    You are really going after it girl! I am feeling the spirit all the way on this side of the pond!!
    Here is some home news to make you laugh. You know our SS teacher the big "D"?? Well he has had a toe accident so when you get home maybe you can help him out. :-) I know I will pay for this but a least I didn't say his name. I know that you wanted me to keep you up to date with stuff :-)... You know how he is always stepping on toes when he teaches, well guess somebody stepped on his :-)
    All jokes aside, praise God for his all of you and I thank God that he is taken care of all of his sheep. I love and miss you girl. Can't wait to see you. Still want one of those hats :-)
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bonnie! I just love reading your blog. Wish I was there. We miss you at church. C U soon.Alvin

    ReplyDelete