Thursday, March 26, 2009

Translation Trials or E18

As I researched Benin, one of the things that I most wondered about was the language that was spoken. According to everything I had read, most of the population speak either French of Fon......I'm here to tell you that most of my patients speak neither. According to the translators, there are 62 different languages spoken in a country the size of Pennsylvania. Last night there were 14 ladies on the ward. They spoke French, Fon, Lopa, Pilla, Fulani, Foun, Kabye, Wama, Bariba, Lamba, and Titamari....14 ladies, 11 languages. Most of our translators speak English, French and Fon. Very rarely do they speak a northern language. We have gotten very creative miming "I'm going to give you a suppository now". I'll let you picture how it's done. "You need to take a sitz bath" and "have you had a BM? are also amusing and cross cultural. When I need to convey more complex instructions such as pelvic floor exercises, and pain scale, it really needs to be verbal. So picture this scenario..... a crowded ward, a curtain (hung with magnetic hooks so it can be moved) drawn around the bed, the patient laying in bed with myself, the translator, another patient and yet another patient.....that's right 4 of us gathered around this poor woman's bed. So I say "we need to teach her how to do exercises that will help her to be able to hold her pee after the surgery". The translator repeats (I hope) what I have said to patient #1 who repeats it (I hope) to patient #2 who repeats it to the awaiting recipient of my nursing knowledge (I hope). Now I feel fairly comfortable with the process except for when: 1. the translator gives me a blank stare, 2. I say one sentence and they talk for 10 minutes, 3. I talk for 10 minutes and they say one sentence. All of these happened during the course of the conversation...I mean instruction. Anyway, I eventually felt that I had conveyed as much information as the format was going to allow, I shued everyone away and indicated to the patient that I would like for her to demonstrate the exercise to me.....I then discovered that it can be very difficult to ascertain as to whether pelvic floor exercises are being done properly and then 2 hours later she mimed to me "can I go to the bathroom now?"

One of the things that we learned in Perspectives was how much more effective sharing the gospel was when it was done within the same culture. They had ratings from E0 to E4 whereby in E0 the Evangelist and the recipient where the same culture, E2 slightly different cultures, etc. I think that having to talk through 3 people has to be at least an E18...don't you? But sometimes God doesn't read the books. A few Saturdays ago, myself and another nurse where working together on the ward, our work was completed, I'd already amused the ladies by teaching a few of the translators the electric slide, but we where running out of things to do. Well, then my partner did the most amazing thing. Somehow we had the right mix of people and she was able to just start talking with them about Christ. She told them of his love for them and about how He knows all of the hairs on their heads and He knows how long they have been wet and of their grief at being wet, and then she told them how to receive Jesus into their heart. They told her that they had heard of this Jesus but didn't know what to do about it until she told them.....it was just the most incredible thing, watching God use this willing nurse to spread His wonderful gospel....E18 indeed!!






The lady in the middle was kicked out of her husband's house after she became incontinent. The man holding her baby is her brother. He brought her down from up north and stayed while she had her operation and recovered.


Some of the faces of the north. The tattoos and scars indicate what tribe they come from. It is my understanding the the government is outlawing this practice as it can be used as a way of "profiling", almost a caste system.






It's late and I need to go to bed....hope all is well on that side of the pond.



2 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I called Cliff to read your most recent post out loud to him (he doesn't have internet). We both LOL'ed. You could be a humor writer if you needed a new career. Love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your sister Bonnie... You missed your calling, to be a humor writer!
    Glad that you are experiencing great things. It is wonderful to hear what God is doing.
    This side of the pond is good. One day we get warm weather the next day it is cold. Tomorrow, 3/28 we are suppose to get some bad storms.. Charity and Kevin got moved into their house and are doing well. Thank you for your prayers. Love and miss you bunches..
    BB

    ReplyDelete