Tuesday, February 24, 2009

First day of surgeries


Today was my first official day on the ward. Surgeries started this morning and I believe that all 6 OR rooms (or theatres as the Brits call them) were busy most of the day. We nurses and translate rs gathered in the ward and prayed for the day. I had 3 fairly simple patients, bilateral hernia repairs on a young boy and a very old man and, on a young woman,a huge shoulder Lima removal. My patients did well and were very happy and relieved at the end of the day. It was the first surgery for all three. My nurse partner sent a baby to the OR for club foot repair...thank goodness for pediatric nurses...not my comfort zone.


We had a very sad event yesterday. A young woman (I think that she was 17) who had been operated on for cleft pallet on the Anastasis as a baby was here to visit with some of the medical team that had cared for her as a child. She had longstanding cardiac problems possible congenital in origin. She collapsed at her hotel yesterday and was brought to the ship. Don Stephens made an announcement asking everyone to pray. Despite everything being done for her that the medical staff knew to do, she passed away in the night. I cannot imagine how this must be affecting those that knew her and those that worked so hard in ICU to save her life. I understand that she was a special person. But I also believe that she is now in heaven and if those on Mercy Ships had any part in God's work in that matter...then there should be great joy for her in addition to each one's personal sorrow.


I am adjusting to the rhythm of life on the ship and even slept for a full 8 hours last night..whooohooo. I have become quite addicted to frappacinos after supper and fresh pineapple for dessert. The food overall has been good. We had baked spaghetti for lunch. I understand that many of the African staff do not find the food so palatable and will cook their own meals in the crews galley.


I tried to post earlier about screening day but it did not go through so I will try again later. Hope that all are doing well. Here is another picture supplied by the ship of screening day. I understand that there is a video on you tube with this years film. We can't look at it on the ship as it will hog the bandwidth. Let me know what you think: )

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! Bonnie, you and the crew are doing fantastic from what I am reading. I am so glad that you are resting better... I love you girl.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete